SubscribeBlog Snip

Saturday, October 01, 2005


Stressing a little about the upcoming inspection...but I guess that's a good thing. Don't want to be too relaxed you know. Just have a few loose ends totie up today and possibly tomorrow then I'm good to go.
I was talking to my roomate last night(we went out for a couple last night since it was Friday) I was saying how I took this job because it was more laid back than my previous management positions and it gave me a chance to use many of the skills I've developed in a less stressful enviornment. Well lately that has been changing. Things have become tense at work and I feel the same pressures and stress that I did in the factory.

I guess part of the problem is that two of the members of our management team are at the begining of thier carrers. They are what I call "ladder climbers", they are on a mission and that is to move up and on and in order to do that everything has to be done by the book no matter what (that's what they think 'cause that's what the corp. says... us old guys know better). They feel they need to excel in order to move ahead in the company. Now there is absoultly nothing wrong with that. I think most of us are that way when we start out. I know I was. The thing is I'm past that. I want to excel and do a good job, but I also want the folks that work for me to be happy.I refuse to treat them as numbers on a ledger. These guys don't make much money. Some of them have second jobs and a life outside of work and I try to respect that. I don't ask anything from them that I wouldn't do myself and many times I'm right there in the trenches with them and I feel that they really respect me for it. I'm tough on them when I need to be,but I'm also understanding. I take short cuts whenever possible and I always try to run my department by working smarter instead of harder. I'm not plastic, I don't have a standard by the book response for each problem we encounter, I treat everyone and every situation with with a customized response or solution.
Because of my meathods I feel that I'm being targeted somewhat. The morale in the other departments is very low and I struggleing to keep iot out of mine. It's becoming harder and harder.
I'll have to continue this later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home